There are some tasks that are worth learning how to do just to save yourself time, effort, and money. One of these tasks is oil changes. An oil change is one of the most important parts of maintaining your vehicle. An oil change is just what it sounds like: the process of draining out your old oil and replacing it with new. Oil in your vehicle is crucial to engine health. Your car has many moving parts that rub against each other, creating friction and heat. Engine oil lubricates the engine and absorbs this heat, allowing the internal parts to work together effectively without overheating. However, like everything in life, engine oil breaks down and wears out, making it less effective at lubricating the engine and absorbing heat, which can cause engine problems if this continues in the long run. The goal of oil changes is to switch out the engine oil before it begins to break down and cause damage in the engine. Lee’s Towing serves Wheatland and Glendo with tow truck services, roadside assistance, and lockouts. Below, we’ll go over the steps to changing your oil. Contact us today for your next tow service!
STEPS TO CHANGING YOUR CAR ENGINE OIL
- Gather what you’ll need to begin. You’ll need to buy the appropriate oil for your vehicle. You can find this out by checking the owner’s manual of your car, or by Googling. You’ll probably need to change your oil filter as well. Again, consult your owner’s manual, Google, or ask your local auto parts store. Other required items include rags, rubber mallet, safety goggles, wrenches, a container for the used oil, plastic sheeting, and an oil filter gasket.
- Spread out your plastic sheeting, and then drive your car on top of it.
- Jack up your car, set the jack stands in place, and lower the car. If you’re on asphalt, place squares of plywood under the jack stands for support.
- Line up your tools so they will be handy. This includes your wrench to drain the plug, your rubber mallet, filter wrench, your drain pan, and your new filter. You can open a jug of oil as well.
- Use this newly opened oil to coat the oil filter gasket before spinning it on.
- Unscrew the plug and allow the oil to drain out, catching it in your drain pan.
- Remove the old engine oil filter, and replace with the new one.
- Once the oil is almost done draining, you can install a new gasket if needed on the plug, which prevents the oil from leaking. Tighten the plug.
- Now it’s time to add in the new oil. This is done underneath the hood and the engine oil cap is usually clearly labeled. Unscrew the cap, and pour in. A funnel helps to ensure you don’t spill any engine oil.
- Tighten the oil cap, and turn on your car to monitor the levels of your oil.
- Wait a few minutes, check your dipstick, and add in more oil if needed.
- Recycle the old oil by pouring it into a jug and taking it to your nearest recycling center for oil products.
Before you start, be cognizant of the temperature of your oil. You want the engine oil to be warm, so it’ll flow easier, but not be scalding either. If your car engine is cold, run it for five minutes before changing your oil. If you’ve been driving for a while, let your engine cool down for about 30 minutes before performing an oil change.
Changing your engine oil takes only about 20 minutes (you could be at your local lube shop for much longer), and can save you a lot of money over the lifetime of your vehicle. Plus, you won’t be pressured to buy new windshield wipers or upgrade your oil needlessly every time you do an oil change.
Lee’s Towing offers the best towing services in Wheatland and Glendo in WY. We specialize in light duty towing, heavy duty towing, roadside assistance, and impounds. When you give us a call, we’ll send out one of our professionally trained tow truck drivers to tow your vehicle wherever you need it to go in a timely and efficient manner. We understand that often times when you need a tow, it’s unplanned and an inconvenience to you. Hence, Lee’s Towing offers 24-hour towing services. We work with all insurance companies and roadside assistance plans to make sure your towing service is covered. Our rates are competitive. Our tows are superb. Contact us today for all of your tow truck needs!